For someone looking for a high-quality shelter for a thru-hike but at a decent overall cost where Dyneema isn’t on the table, you should look at Gossamer Gear.
Today we will discuss the Gossamer Gear The One vs The Two and why each may be the right choice for you, along with discussing the critical differences between each so that you can make an informed decision on your next thru-hiking shelter.
Choosing a tent for your thru-hike has hundreds of factors, but ultimately it comes down to what you value most. Do you care more about weight? Or perhaps interior space is vital for you?
Let’s take a look.
Introduction to Gossamer Gear – Their History and Philosophy
Gossamer Gear is a cottage company that produces high-quality, ultralight backpacking gear. Gossamer Gear is most known for its innovative designs and sustainability-minded manufacturing.
They have been making gear for over two decades that is both lightweight and durable. Their packs, shelters, and trekking poles are a result of their application of hard work and dedication.
They believe that carrying less weight allows you to do more – cover more miles, have more fun, and experience more awesome things.
The Featherlight Gossamer Gear “The One” Solo Shelter
Gossamer Gear’s “The One” tent is a one-person single-wall backpacking tent weighing only 17.7 ounces. The One is made with a waterproof, breathable 10D Ripstop Nylon shell and floor.
The One is back, and it’s more determined than ever to keep you dry without weighing you down. This shelter has factory-taped seams, reflective pull-outs, robust zippers, and fully-rigged lines.
The tent body and floor are a Custom 10D Nylon Ripstop SIL/PU fabric waterproof to at least 1800mm.
It’s easy to set up, rugged, spacious, and just over one pound!
Gossamer Gear “The One”
Elevate your backpacking game with Gossamer Gear’s ‘The One,’ a budget-friendly ultralight tent that redefines your outdoor experience. Crafted with precision and designed for the savvy adventurer, this tent offers unparalleled quality without the premium price tag.
- Ultralight Marvel: Experience the freedom of lightweight backpacking without compromising on durability. ‘The One’ is designed with cutting-edge materials, ensuring a feather-light load for your adventures.
- Spacious Comfort: Enjoy a roomy interior that accommodates solo and duo travelers comfortably. ‘The One’ maximizes space without adding unnecessary weight to your pack.
- Easy Setup: Say goodbye to complicated setups. This tent boasts a straightforward design, allowing you to pitch your shelter quickly, so you can focus on enjoying the great outdoors.
- Affordable Adventure: Unleash the full potential of an ultralight backpacking tent without breaking the bank. ‘The One’ delivers exceptional value for those seeking top-tier performance on a budget.
The Roomy Gossamer Gear “The Two” 2P Tent
Gossamer Gear’s “The Two” tent is a two-person single-wall backpacking tent weighing only 23.5 ounces. The Two is made with a waterproof, breathable 10D Ripstop Nylon shell and floor.
This tent can hold two people and keep you dry without making you too heavy. The Two has taped seams, reflective pull-outs, robust zippers, and fully rigged lines.
As with The One above, the tent body and floor are a Custom 10D Nylon Ripstop SIL/PU fabric waterproof to at least 1800mm.
It is easy to set up and is very rugged. It also has two doors on each side for easy access and good ventilation, with the weight coming in at just under one and a half pounds!
Gossamer Gear “The Two”
Experience the pinnacle of ultralight backpacking with Gossamer Gear’s ‘The Two,’ a budget-friendly tent that redefines outdoor shelter without compromising quality. Precision-crafted for the discerning adventurer, this tent offers unparalleled performance without the premium price tag.
- Ultralight Excellence: Redefine your backpacking limits with ‘The Two,’ featuring cutting-edge materials that ensure a superlight load, perfect for those who prioritize efficiency without sacrificing durability.
- Spacious Duo Comfort: Enjoy a roomy interior designed for two, providing ample space without compromising on weight. ‘The Two’ maximizes comfort for you and your adventure companion.
- Effortless Setup: Say goodbye to time-consuming setups. ‘The Two’ is engineered with a user-friendly design, allowing for a quick and easy pitch so you can spend more time enjoying your surroundings.
- All-Weather Assurance: From unexpected rain showers to starry nights, ‘The Two’ offers reliable protection. Its weather-resistant features make it a versatile choice for various climates and conditions.
Seven Vital Differences Between The One and The Two
Now that we have looked at each shelter individually, let’s discuss the key differences between The One and The Two.
Some people are gram managers who will choose the lighter weight option regardless of any other criteria.
There is about a six-ounce difference between The One (17.7oz) and The Two (23.5oz); this amounts to something close to a Kindle in weight.
This is how the tents fit within a backpack, and overall there is only one inch more space needed for The Two vs The One.
The One comes in at 10″x5,” and The Two comes in at 11″x5,” but depending on the pack, this can be the difference between horizontal or vertical carry.
Interior or Liveable Space
Each tent has the same vertical space based on construction, but the floorplans differ. Through rough math, The One has around 16 square feet of floor space, while The Two has around 24 square feet.
Regarding gear storage and moving around inside the tent, The Two gives you more room to work with, so your choice would be The Two.
Budget matters for most people, thru-hikers even more, as gear is not cheap when looking at the cost of these two tents.
The One will run you $299, and The Two will set you back $375. That is quite a difference to your wallet, so this cost will come down to the length of the trail you plan to hike and your willingness to spend.
Weight, Packability, Space, Cost, Value – Which Tent is Best For You?
If you are looking for a lighter tent, go with The One. If you want more interior space, go with The Two. Remember that both tents are high quality and will serve you well on your thru-hike.
Value is truly in the eyes of the buyer, so this will come down to what you value on the trail. Many thru-hikers choose a two-person tent for the extra space to dry gear and have a place to relax at the end of the day.
A single-person tent will save you some money, but on a long rainy period, you could be stuck in what can only be described as a cramped enclosed space without room to stretch and spread out.
Gossamer Gear is an excellent company with high-quality shelters that will do very well on your thru-hike, so no matter which one you choose, you will have a great experience.
Video: Gossamer Gear The One & The Two
Final Verdict – Our Recommendation Based on Your Needs
While both can be solid performers, I prefer a two-person shelter if I am going to the ground, I want to spread out my gear to dry it out, and space is at a premium.
I would not hesitate to take either the One or the Two on my thru-hike, but if I were only going to buy one, it would be “The Two.”
What are your thoughts on the Gossamer Gear The One vs The Two?
Let me know in the comments below!